Wednesday 24 December 2008

Season’s Greetings





(I haven’t put the photos on a photo-sharing site yet, but will let you know when and where you can see them.)

I rode my bike for the first time in four weeks yesterday. It felt weird. It also felt weird to be on the left hand side of the road, and on narrow roads without traffic I found myself veering across to the right a couple of times. Anyway, I’m much happier now that I’m mobile again.

I’m still mulling over my achievement and it has certainly been a life-changing experience. Not just for me either - life changed for other people too. Just within my extended family there was a bereavement, a serious illness (which that person has made a full recovery from) and Neil, my younger brother, started a new job.

Today I’m going to a friend’s house and will be staying there until all this nonsense is over.

Thank you once again to everyone in America who provided accommodation, sustenance and Scrabble. It was a pleasure to meet you all and I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Once again I’d like to reiterate that each and every one of you are most welcome to visit me in Scotland.

I’m also looking for suggestions as to what to do for my next expedition. I’d like to cycle across America again, possibly from San Diego to New England (playing Scrabble of course) but maybe there’s something different that I could do?

I leave you with a recipe, for what better way could there be to sign off than talking about food, glorious food?

Hudson Bay Bread
1 1/2 lbs. (3 cups) butter or margarine - soft
4 cups sugar
2/3 cup corn syrup (light Karo)
2/3 cup honey
2 tsp. maple flavouring (Mapleine)
Cream together the above ingredients. Gradually add:
1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
19 cups finely ground rolled oats (see above)
Press into cake pan or large sheet pan about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Bake at 325 degrees for about 20 minutes. Do not overcook, as it will get crispy and brittle. Take out of oven and use spatula to press down (keeps it from crumbling). Cut into exactly 3 1/2 inch squares. Package in plastic bags with as many as there are crew members (one each for lunch). If you measured correctly, they should just fit into 1/2 gallon paper milk cartons. They will be protected, easy to pack, and easy to find when you want to grab a quick lunch. Slather with massive quantities of peanut butter and jelly, and wash it down with some Red-Eye, and you will know you ate lunch!

No comments: