Friday 12 September 2008

The Swimmer


T minus 3 days...

I suddenly remembered why I’m doing this. It was the film “The Swimmer” (which had a profound effect on me when I saw it many years ago) that sowed a seed in my noggin. In the film Burt Lancaster (what an actor) swims across his county, via swimming pools. You can read about it here : http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B00005JKQ6?filterBy=addTwoStar. The only differences are that (a) I don’t look so good in swimming trunks and (b) Scrabble is my metaphor, for what I don’t know. When I find out, I’ll be sure to let you know. I’m not going to me now though (Adrian, Oregon) so it might have nothing to do with finding myself. In fact Adrian rejected me… It’s not (as in the film) alcoholism or extra-marital affairs, that’s for sure! I just liked the idea of it anyhow. Scrabbling across America… Not as poetic a subject as swimming and a bit more anoraky, but hey ho.

So, my mother is worried about me staying with weirdos. If there’s any wierdos reading this, please post a comment to let her now you’re a nice weirdo at least. Thanks.

My legs are sore today, after walking (as opposed to cycling) a few miles yesterday. Bizarre.

I’ve been told of a new site similar to www.couchsurfing.com. It’s www.warmshowers.org, which has slightly fetishistic associations, at least to my addled way of thinking (and something else for my mum to worry about) but it’s another hosting community, this time aimed at touring cyclists. I wonder if there are any in Adrian, Oregon…

No comments: